Tuesday 24 March 2015

Final Exhibition Project Proposal


Essay Film



This project proposal aims to outline my intentions for this semester and the final exhibition. It has become clear that I need to work with my strengths for this final stretch, even though these might not necessarily be conventional. An interest in art theory, which was initially sparked by the demanding reading and lecture programme of the first year Contextual Studies, remains the most vital element of my practice. My work is Conceptual in nature, and inherently idea based. After being accepted onto the MA in Contemporary Art Theory at Goldsmiths, I feel that it is important to fully acknowledge this side of my work. When considering my studio practice, I understand that on occasions physical work has been lax, but I realise that this is because the writing is not simply research but the work itself. This Semester I wish to push this area of my practice, however, I also aim to produce something visual, as I feel that this is another form of developing and exploring ideas based on what I have read or seen. I hope to create a balance between the two. Marlene Dumas is a current example of a more extensive use of theory in her work when she published a book of essays and texts alongside the catalogue for her exhibition The Image as Burden at the Tate Modern. I was surprised at the connection between the ideas I have and her written analysis of her work and its influences. 

There are various different texts, authors or artists who have continued to influence me throughout the degree and also in particular with the research and development of the idea for the final project. My dissertation was based on Roland Barthes’ ‘The Death of the Author’ and his thoughts on authorship and intention. The intention of the artist and their role in the creative act has often resurfaced throughout my work. Having such a keen interest in Conceptual Art, I have also been largely influenced by the work and writings of both Marcel Duchamp and Joseph Kosuth. The way in which they explore the relationship between the audience and the work has often led me to question this further, and this is something I wish to do much more thoroughly throughout this final semester. Susan Sontag remains an influential figure, having always immensely enjoyed reading her work her book Where the Stress Falls (2001) discusses the importance of the role of the narrator and the distancing of the author from the “I” not only in writing, but also within film and photography. Linda Weintraub’s book Making Contemporary Art: How Modern Artists Think and Work (2003) is essential to my research and writing this term. This was written for students unsure of what it takes to be an artist and how to survive in the art market, her work poses important questions which have made me consider my own practice and where I stand as an art student. 

Essay film is the one medium that I have often returned to over the past few years but have never fully explored. My work for the first part of this year was an experiment with exploring more personal ideas. I looked at family, the power of photographs and memory. Feedback suggested that there was more strength in areas of my work where I focused on theory, and the idea, and not worried so much about feeling like including a personal element in the work was a requirement. I believe I needed to try this in order to recognise where and how my work is stronger. After reading Linda Weintraub’s Making Contemporary Art: How Modern Artists Think and Work I became interested in the way in which as artists we see the world, and what we believe the purpose of our work is and comparing this to the way in which the audience relates to and interprets our work. Essay film is both informative and often humorous, however it is the abstraction of the documentary style that I believe truly makes them into a work of art. Orson Welles’ ‘F for Fake’ is a witty example of a well executed essay film, unlike many I have watched that have been quite dark, this was manipulative of the viewer and smart in the movements it made. Another trait I have noticed with essay films is the play on the truth, and an audiences often easy acceptance of everything that they see. This connects closely with an artist featured in the first section of Weintraub’s book: Eve Andree Laramee, her exhibition was a fabrication of a scientist, the line between reality and lies was crossed within this ongoing project. As a format the essay film intrigues me, it is subliminal and I like that they have the power to be manipulative in a light-hearted way. The process of editing is key, working the clips, sounds and narration together to make one complete film is the challenge. 

My intention for this final semester is to continue to explore these ideas that remain relevant to my practice - remembering for myself what is important, but more closely focus on the book by Linda Weintraub and Sontag’s Where the Stress Falls. I plan to pose questions to the students of Fine Art regarding their practice and the way in which they view their audience and the dynamics of this relationship. I hope to uncover some diverse and unexpected answers to these questions which when edited together will form a contemporary and honest conversation. The aim is to show this short film as an introduction to the final third year degree show, allowing the audience to gain a greater understanding of what this years third year fine artists are really about, who they are, what drives them and what they aim to achieve. I hope that this will not only be an interesting addition to the artists statements at the exhibition, but might also allow the audience to consider these questions in a wider context, not just in relation to the work directly in front of them. I intend for the film to be relatively abstract, much like many of my favourite essay films, as well as a positive and informative look into how artists think. I will have to allow a decent amount of time for editing, and so the gathering of information and footage will have to start as soon as possible, organisation is also key. Ruth has kindly offered to assist me in the making of the film, to which I am very grateful as it is a slightly mammoth task to attempt alone. It is an exciting project that I feel will continue to uncover more twists the further into the process we go. 




No comments:

Post a Comment