Saturday 18 April 2015

Critique and filming



This week was particularly hectic. On Thursday we had scheduled in a series of group crits, where we get into smaller groups and discuss how we think each person’s work is going and what they could possibly improve on. I was particularly interested in recording or filming these because I think it is a very important point in our journey towards the final show. This is when we discuss if their pieces are actually working and if they need to change anything. You really get a sense of what everyones work is about, I wanted to record these as I thought it would end up being directly related to the show and I felt it would be interesting to perhaps incorporate some of the stuff recorded into the video, it would be a long day but in the end very much worth it. I also set out to film about 5 people this week, the last of the remaining students. This in itself was a difficult task as I wanted to also stay on top of transcribing the interviews and the documentation of the process. I felt that it was right to try and get the main filming done as quickly as possible, leaving more time to edit and play around with adding more footage in later. 





At the beginning of the week I filmed Jess and Hailey. Jess and Hailey are working with projection, and projecting onto material, they have collaborated from quite early on in the degree so I felt it was fitting to engage them in a conversation together much like between Polly and Alison. I filmed both Jess and Hailey in the same shot as I have realised that in occasions like these it is easier to just have a few cameras as it is difficult to manage a load on my own. The interview went well and this was one of the more relaxed interviews I had done, Jess and Hailey were great in front of the camera and the conversation between them both really flowed naturally. Again there was a problem with the sound in the studio, not only was there a lot of talking but also the noise of the door slamming and people moving things around. This cannot be avoided and I am slowly coming to the conclusion that using subtitles for all of the work might actually benefit in many different ways however this will have to be tested. Jess and Hailey were working on projecting as I was filming, again there was something about the students working whilst talking that interested me. I filmed them sitting in the environment they had created; between plinths ladened with technology. The other camera was placed behind them and filmed partially the mirror image of the projection, this would have been an interesting angle however the sound in this one was terrible and also Jess had moved slightly meaning the other camera became visible, however there still might be a chance to use this footage throughout the film. The light and the dynamic of the conversation and the movements both Jess and Hailey made throughout the filming, like the gestures of their hands and turning towards each other, really make the film work. 




I recorded Takunda on the Tuesday. His space was right next to the window and the sun was streaming in so the main problem with filming this was getting the balance right between the camera being underexposed and overexposed. This gave me the chance to really play with the ISO settings on the camera, and it was reflected in the better quality image that I managed to achieve with the filming. I filmed TK talking straight on and also an angle directed to the side so that you could see his profile. I am particularly pleased with the angle as it is different to all of the others I have shot and it is interesting and flattering. Takunda’s space was filled with his work, a lot of which were portraits. I liked this connection with him throughout the space, being able to see elements of his work in the filming much like with Alison’s paintings in the background of her shot. TK said some interesting things, none of which any of the others had mentioned so this will be a good one to edit. 




I then filmed Klavs in his studio space. He felt most comfortable walking around and working in the space, which was good for me as I preferred the shots where the students were moving around, much like Connie’s where she moved in and out of the frame as she was drawing. Klavs was nervous about the filming, although I don't think it really showed. The sound was much better on this because there was no one really in the studio at the time, however sadly I can’t just make everyone disappear whenever I need to film. Klavs is from Latvia and it was interesting hearing him talk about the differences between art school there and here, this was something that will stand out from the rest of the interviews. Klavs’ space itself looks quite like an installation, which interestingly might be something that he is working towards for the final degree show, the reflection of this as a working space in the film and then having the presented space in the show could be effective. I also had the chance to film Ellie towards the end of the day. Ellie was nervous about the filming and so didn’t want herself in the work. Her work is about dolls and her connection to dolls, in her space she has this fantastic doll made out of tights and material, and in her crit she spoke of this doll as being a person and a character. It felt fitting to capture what she was saying with the camera focused on the doll, it was eery but I think the image worked well and there will definitely be a strong connection with her work for the show. 



In the morning I had a meeting with Jane to attempt to clarify some of the components of the two briefs. I also wanted to discuss my ideas for the presentation of the film for the show. I mentioned that I wouldn’t want the film projected as it would lose some of its quality as an image, and there was also quite a lot of projection already happening in the show. I also felt that I wouldn’t want it on a larger screen as this would just be a bit boring. I mentioned to Jane about using multiples as this is something I had discussed with Ruth previously. It would be great if the film could be split into sections and immersed into the show, where the audience could dip in and out as they walked around the exhibition. I spoke of using old style monitors, as I had used them in a video piece last year and loved the aesthetic of the old TVs. I think in this case, if I had subtitles, these would work really well. I thought it would be good to build a structure that fitted everything perfectly, however Jane warned me about visualising something before trying everything out to see how it works. Therefore, I thoroughly need to test the technology I am going to use and the possible problems I will encounter. 

The day of crits was insightful as it was great to hear what everyone was up to, with this project I have really got a feel about what interests the other students, however I haven’t had much of a chance to see their work for the show, and so this day was vital for me as I feel I need to be involved in the whole process. Although my crit was only in the morning I felt it was important to stay for the entire day and record everything that was being said about the different pieces of work. It is going to take me a while however I am going to transcribe everything that I managed to get as I think seeing the things that were said written down will be crucial to the film. My crit went well and I was really pleased with the feedback I got, I think everyone is excited to see the film. It’s difficult to remember everything that was said, so I will have to wait until I transcribe the recording as I did not take notes. One of the things that was mentioned was the way in which I will make the film, I explained that I would like it to be quite engaging and slightly jumpy, fast paced. I spoke of how it would be interesting to split the film up, and perhaps making different films with different ideas. However, I realised that this is something that will begin to form as I start to edit and is something I am going to really be thinking about over the next few weeks. They asked about subtitles, and I know that I will need to take into consideration how fast people can read and whether the subtitles fit with what is being said. I am quite used to reading subtitles so I will need to test what I try on others and see if it really does work. Jane asked as well about making the entire film black and white to try and make sure that the film flows well together, I am unsure about removing colour from some of the footage but I know there are a lot of other filters that I can try so I will explore the possibilities with this, I need to make sure that I explore a lot of different ways of doing things as well, not just stick to one. Jane also mentioned the way in which I need to get the balance right between it trying to look professionally filmed and failing, or purposefully being bad footage. The footage in many of the essay films I have watched is particularly poor, and I have mentioned previously about how for me it is not about the footage that is captured. Jane said that I need to make sure that the fact that it is not about the footage is understood, and I need to find ways to make that so. This again will also need some experimenting and this is definitely something that I will be keeping at the front of my mind throughout the editing. From my crit I understand that I will have to make a series of short tester films, working out a style and a format that fits and can work. I plan to do this by next week, and what will be great is if I can use these different films to test the equipment and at the same time see how they work together. I need to write a list of different ideas and possibilities and try and make these into a series of short tester clips. 


I am excited to read through the transcripts of the group crits. I have a feeling that these are going to change things and possibly change the way that I format the film. I plan to have Thursdays crits transcribed by the time the next round of crits happen next Thursday. My aim for the week is to film the last two remaining students, and start to gather together some extra footage of the students working. This is something I would still like to be doing much closer to the time of the show so it is something that I need to think about like breathing, bringing my camera with me everywhere and capturing what I can. I aim to make these different tester films this week, to help explore some of the ways in which I can work, and try the different things out so that the following week I can source the equipment I need and test out these as well. Again it is going to be a very full on week but something I must say is that this really does not feel like a chore. I am so thoroughly engaged in this project and I am enjoying it so much that the time is just flying by. I need to make time this week also for writing a draft of both my PDP report and presentation, and also the questions for the scholarship at Goldsmiths! No pressure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment